"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."-Leonardo da Vinci

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

First Flight as a Private Pilot

So today I had the chance to head over to the Airport and take my First Flight as a Private Pilot! I invited my Brother to tag along, and it was also his first flight in any kind of Aircraft. Just a nice Local sightseeing Flight.


We departed Runway 13 at BYY and departed to the Northwest with the goal to find my Dad at work. We did so with no problem, and did a few Turns around the area to give my Brother the time to take a few pics.
After he got a few photos I waggled the wings and turns South. The plan was then to head to the Coast and fly along it. While headed South we Climbed up over the Clouds and went up to 4,000ft. While up there, my Brother asked... "Hey, is it normal to have a Rainbow around the Plane's shadow?" I told him it was a Pilot's Halo, and had him take a few pics. It did not come out all that well, but oh well. While headed South I looked at the GPS to see what the Ground speed was, as it felt horribly slow. It was showing 60-65kts of Groundspeed. A far cry from normal. So I turned east and descended back down below the Clouds in an attempt to gain speed. We started getting 75kts. When we reached the Coast, we turned east and started getting 95kts GS. We then turned North towards the Airport and flew over my House. We took some pics and turned back on course. We then turned west and flew over the place we used to work. Snapped a few pics and headed to the Airport. the Landing was made less graceful by a Crosswind, but I got her down nice and smooth.

Ok, here are some pics my Brother took. I'll have a video up soon as well.
Me and the plane...




Pilot's Halo...




Up with the Clouds...




Birds...

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the ticket! My sister was my first victim years ago when I got my ticket. Keep up the good work. By the way, if you opt for the Cherokee 180, you'll get years of enjoyment out of it (it's lots more versatile than a 140). Of course, a 160 is a really nice plane and I've seen them for a little more than the 140 you referenced on PoA forums.

    ReplyDelete